Golookall
Chapelle De La Visitation
Chapelle De La Visitation logo
Closed

Chapelle De La Visitation

Sortir · Patrimoine & Histoire

Chapelle De La Visitation5

Sortir

Patrimoine & HistoireÉdifices religieuxChapellePatrimoine & Histoire

Practical information

About

The Chapel of the Visitation, also known as the Chapel of the Holy Sacrament, is a baroque religious building emblematic of Avignon. Founded in 1621 by the Visitandines, this chapel is intimately linked to the history of the accompanying convent. Its baroque architecture, with its elegant ornaments and delicate frescoes, testifies to the spiritual and artistic importance of this place. The chapel is not only a space for devotion but also an architectural treasure that attracts lovers of history and religious art.

Located in the former Courreterie des Chevaux, a horse market that once traded in this area, the chapel is at the crossroads of historical routes. The road took the name "Philonarde Street" in honor of Mario Filonardi, Archbishop and Vice-Legate of Avignon from 1629 to 1634, as well as the nephew of Filippo Filonardi, who held similar roles from 1611 to 1614. In 1890, the creation of the new Thiers Street divided Philonarde Street into two segments, the name remaining attached to the southern part, while the northern section was renamed "Paul Saïn Street".

Chapelle De La Visitation

10-12 Pl. de la Pignotte, 84000 Avignon, France, 84000, Avignon

Gallery

Dishes, dining room and atmosphere

Customer reviews

52 reviews
5
2
4
0
3
0
2
0
1
0
L

Ludovic Soufflet

octobre 2021
L

left dock

août 2019

Belle vue de face

Where to eat afterwards?

The best tables just steps away